Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Brian

Today, I’d like to share what I learned from Brian.

No, don’t worry, Brian is not another name for some random symptom or disease, he is a man that I met today. Actually, I met him once several years ago as I interacted with him at the recycling center. He was there again today. The question begs asking- how do I remember someone at the recycling center I met years ago and recognize that he’s the same guy from today?

Well, Brian is deaf. I’d venture to guess he’s the only deaf worker there who works with aluminum cans. Anyway, I was reminded by Brian today of a great lesson I’ve learned about people and especially about people with illnesses or disabilities.

Today I took in my cans. [Sidenote: I’m collecting pop cans to raise money to send kids in Africa to school. If you live in the area, would you mind saving some for me? I’ll pick them up if you let me know when.] I took in my 95 pounds of cans (can I get a WOW!) to get money for them to send to Uganda. Brian was there and helped me get them all weighed and whatnot. He went back to finish paperwork and give me what I needed to get paid, and as he handed me the slip, I thanked him in sign language. (One of my 3 words!) He smiled, and we said our goodbyes.

I went to the office to collect my earnings and went back to my car. Brian was standing by the entrance to the can place, sweeping, and he asked if everything went okay. I gave him an enthusiastic thumbs up. Then, he told me “thank you” in sign language and pointed to me, then said it again.

It made me wonder how many people come in and think he’s stupid or retarded or something. How many people don’t treat him like a person?

In the midst of my busy day and long to-do list, God gave me a clear reminder of what we’re here to do. Love people. In whatever capacity we can. Maybe it’s an extra pause when talking to someone; or a genuine thank you; or just acknowledging that they are people too. God meets us where we’re at and loves us as we are. He loves Brian, even though Brian can’t sing the best worship songs, or hear them for that matter, or do all of the things the rest of us can.

Personally, I’m thrilled that God isn’t concerned with the physical state of our bodies or that that qualifies us for service. So many of us would be screwed. I’m thankful that God put Brian in my life today. And I’m thankful that for all the things I have to put up with in regards to my body, I can hear the birds chirp, or the tractor run, or the oven timer beep. Somedays, it’s the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment